Tuesday, August 9, 2011

2 Year anniversary of the Benoit Family deaths?

It's hard to believe that it's been two years already since Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit were all found dead in their home. I still remember it like it was yesterday. I had gone out to eat at Bonanza, which ironically I did on the day that Eddie Guerrero died too, and I arrived home, anxious to watch the 3-Hour episode of Monday Night Raw to see what was going to happen with the Vince getting blown up storyline, got on my computer and logged on to WWE.com, and it hit me like a gut punch, "World Wrestling Entertainment is deeply saddened to report that today Chris Benoit and his family were found dead in their home. There are no further details at this time, other than the Benoit family residence is currently being investigated by local authorities. Tonight’s Raw on USA Network will serve as a tribute to Chris Benoit and his family. WWE extends its sincerest thoughts and prayers to the Benoit family’s relatives and loved ones in this time of tragedy." I stared at my computer in disbelief, I never in my wildest nightmares thought that would ever happen but it did. At the time the true details of the tragedy were not present so I thought that a burglar or someone broke in and murdered them, that, however turned out to be a false umption. In a short span of four hours, I went from disbelief and sadness, to shock, anger, disbelief, and pure sadness at the details that were later uncovered, Chris Benoit had murdered Nancy and Daniel and then hung himself. Nothing seemed real at all, it was a day I'll never forget, probably the darkest day in wrestling. That tragedy sent the wrestling world into a downspiral and cast a dark cloud over the business that it is just recently recovering from. The aftermath led to worse criticism of the business, stricter testing and the Signature Pharmacy scandal followed and no matter what people couldn't forget the tragedy and only now are people really moving on and enjoying wrestling again, but now, it's June 25, and today will be the day to reflect and remember Chris, Nancy, and Daniel Benoit. Remember Chris Benoit for his contributions to the business, remember Nancy for her contributions to wrestling as well and remember Daniel as a loving little boy, don't remember them as victims. While I am disgusted at Chris Benoit for doing it, there is no doubting the enormous contribution he gave to the business and remember him for that, but no matter what, whenever you look him up in the wrestling history books, there will always be an asterisk next to his name.

No comments:

Post a Comment